Friday, July 30, 2010

Bitter and Elitist...

Being a recent transplant, I’m always looking for ways to make my new life in the Salty City feel a little more like home. That’s why when a friend invited me to go swing dancing, I didn’t ask when or where - I just said yes.

Turns out, U of U’s swing club hosts a free dance every Thursday starting at 9. The free lesson starts at 8, if you've never done it before, or if you’re like me and forget everything when faced with a new (and/or attractive) partner. Yes, two years of swing dancing and I still worry I’ll embarrass myself.

I shouldn’t have worried so much. 

Described as a whole, I’d term the event as “socially-awkward”. Don’t get me wrong! Some of the people were nice, some of them were cute, some of them were even employed(!).  But there’s a certain charisma you need on the dance floor in order to not come off as a skeeze, guy or girl. And nobody had it.

Dancing is the human body made into art, and put into motion, you know? This was more like taking the David and rolling it downhill. Body? Check. Art? Check. Motion? Check. BUT WHY THE HECK ARE YOU DOING THAT TO A MICHELANGELO????

You’re probably thinking, “Oh come on, Sara! You can’t compare a free university event to a classic sculpture.” And you know what? You’re right. I guess I got what I paid for. But I just couldn’t get over how uncomfortable the whole thing was. 

Bless your collective heart, U of U. Let's stick to football in the future.

What do you think, SLC? How do you keep dancing classy? Where do you go to get your groove on? Must "free" always mean "lame"?

No comments:

Post a Comment