Friday, January 6, 2012

eating cheaply: sample grocery list

I spent $19.32 at the store yesterday, and man do I feel cool. This will actually feed me for some time.



Brown rice -- This was partially to help out my waterlogged phone, but mostly because I realized I had NO rice on hand, and that just felt a little strange to me.

Powdered milk -- I mostly just use milk in cooking, rather than for drinking, so I realized it doesn't much matter how it tastes! It's cheaper than buying the real stuff.

Canned tuna -- I didn't buy chicken this week like I'd planned. I just couldn't justify spending the money on a pricey protein source when I have a whole bag of dried beans sitting in my pantry. This was my compromise. Expect forthcoming posts on how I use the beans!

Medium cheddar -- This is mostly to go along with all of the Mexican food I will be eating this week, since I've been looking up what to do with my dried black beans, not to mention the plethora of salsa I inherited. (Thank you, Sam!) EDIT: Except how I've brought cheese and crackers to work two days in a row. I think it's time to do some real cooking.

Grapes -- Last grocery trip I bought apples, bananas, and oranges. I try to have variety in my produce to maximize the range of nutrition, plus grapes just sounded good. This is my treat this week.

Grapefruit -- Again, this provides a little variety in my produce. Two interesting tidbits though...apparently when you buy citrus fruits, you want to pick the ones that feel a little heavy for their size. This usually means that they are juicier and sweeter, I think.

(Also, for a super yummy breakfast or snack, slice grapefruit into circles and sprinkle brown sugar on each one. Put them on a cookie sheet and stick them under the broiler until the peel starts to darken. Eat. Wish you could justify eating another one. Eat another one anyway, justification be darned.)

Acorn squash -- I also try to buy my produce in season. Winter obviously is a little tricky, but winter squashes (you know, with a big, thick rind) fit the bill. I've never had acorn squash before, but I like the other kinds I've tried. So I'm excited to see what kind of distinction there is, aside from the obvious difference in shape.

Cabbage -- Okay, I confess, I have never bought a cabbage before in my life. I have no idea what to do with it, but it's super cheap and it's a vegetable, so I'm excited to find out.

Eggs -- Well...anyone who has seen my Facebook already knows how I feel about these, but there it is again for good measure.
They may want to refigerate their spelling, because I figer that ain't  right.
. My snark springs eternal, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment